Monday, April 27, 2009

FiNe ArTs BaBy!

Friday at 2:00 I headed out from work on what would be a long, tiresome, but oh-so-worth it weekend!
Fine Arts was here at last!!!
From work, Angie and I ran quick to my place (of all things to forget, a hair brush is definitely needed!), to her parents' place (drop of the munchkins), then to drop $127 on groceries to feed 24 people!
3:15 we made it to the church, grabbed our cd player (wisest decision..read on!) and costumes and met the kids. We rearranged the food in the 3 coolers and loaded up the cars. We got into a big circle and prayed all at once (my favorite prayer time!) for safety driving and for the focus to stay on God even while we were at competition.
3:45 we loaded up the vans and prayed each vehicle's safety in getting to the cities.
4:00 we were on our way!!! We stopped once for switching Denise and Angie for drivers then continued on. We hit the edge of the cities about 6pm (Our head van was a speeder!!!) and along with that came a little rush hour traffic we had to weed through.
Let me take this moment to say some of our kids' parents let us use their van because we were one short. I happened to be driving this van. I'm pretty good about keeping my eye on the gas and the speedometer and other gauges to make sure everything's in tip top shape. Well, we started to get into start-stop traffic with rush hour stuff and before I knew it, the van's gauge was telling us the van was about to overheat...fast! So we took the next exit and pulled over on a residental street and called the other vans to let them know we had to stop.
On a side note, the kids whose van this was had named it Bo-Jankady! Because it is a little bit on the older side and that was the sound it would make every-so-often when you first started it up...
I called my friend Lundon who was the youth pastor at the church we would be spending the night, and he came within 20 minutes with the big 15 seater church van! We shifted all our stuff and continued on our way.
Sadly tho, we had to leave Bo-Jankady there because the coolant had run completely dry! AND I had the great privilage of calling the parents and owners of Bo-Jankady and letting them know. This would prove to be a continuous adventure for the rest of the weekend...
We met back up with all our peoples for grabbing a quick bite to eat, then we headed over to the church to practice, watch movies and hang out. I also went with 2 other leaders to buy coolant and get the van back to the church which proved to be easy but showed us how bad Bo-Jankady had gotten and attention it would need...Bed time was 11pm because we needed to get up EARLY! I was up first at 5:50 and got everyone else up at the time they requested all the while getting myself ready and packing everything and everyone up! 24 people. THREE vans and one station wagon. 3 coolers of food. 24 people's stuff and costumes...we were on the road by 7:30! I was so proud!
We got to North Central University, found decent parking, registered, and had time to find a quieter place to run through one of the dramas before the day fully began!
9:30 and we started! We were good about running to and from the different locations for the different time slots and the day was going very smoothly until #13 on the roster. We had 2 groups at the same time! So we split up and went to the different locations. Maeve was doing a solo human video for the one I went to and when it was her turn to perform, we put her cd in and pressed play..."no disc" showed up! The cd player was an older one and couldn't read the cd!!! So I thought quick and asked the judges if they minded letting us move down one slot to give me enough time to run and get the cd player we had so wisely packed...they were totally ok with that so I took out my heavy earings and RAN!!!! It was only 2 blocks away, but with everyone else crowding the halls and entry ways, I was slowed down quite a bit...BUT! I made it back in time, heaving chest as I tried to catch my breath. I put my earings back and and we set up Maeve to do her HV. SHE DID AWESOME! She got the highest score from one of the judges out of anyone in our group! (a 38 out of 40 possible).
After a quick lunch, Katy (Bo-Jankady's owner) and I headed over to meet the tow truck man at the van to varify that Katy had AAA to cover the cost of towing the van. Then within an hour we were back and ready to hear how everyone had done.
We were super excited to hear Ashley's name announced when her worship dance routine was awarded a superior with invitation rating. But the moment of truth came when we held hands tightly and awaited the announcement on the top human videos...THE GLEAVES WON!!! Well, they scored high enough (superior with invitation) to get invited to compete on the NATIONAL level in ORLANDO, FL!!!!
The ironic thing is they just worked on their hv not even for 2 weeks before competing!
On our way home, we stopped at Fuddruckers so the kids could play some games if they wanted and eat plenty of food before piling back in the carivan of min-vans and the station wagon. We also pulled out the score cards for all the dramas we did and read off the comments and scores...guess what!? EVERY GROUP GOT A SUPERIOR RATING! And the were only a point or two from getting superior with invitation! Not bad for a drama group that just started and had their first time (us leaders' first time too) at fine arts!
I'm so proud of my kids!

1 comment: